Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Living truth

I spend most of my life attempting to be true to myself and everyone around me. Why do I always feel like such a fake? I seek truth on my illness, my identity, my value system, my allegiance to my own kind and my role as a parent. I have been told that everyone questions this at some time in their lives but that notion does not alleviate the hollowness and persistent, painful and terrifying notion that I am missing something very important. The innate comfort of knowing that I am human. You could argue that my mental heath history sets the mood for delusional and irrational behaviour and I don't disagree, however, doesn't everyone have their human foundations shaken once in a while? Mental health is not exclusive nor is it uncommon yet it is often overlooked. If you tell people you have cancer, you immediately get the understanding and the empathy. You are seen as a fighter of the cause. If you tell people that you are mentally ill, there is more of a delayed reaction and a resounding "Ohhhh. I'm so sorry". End of discussion. People don't ask about treatment, duration of the illness or how it came about. When are we getting our ribbon? HIV and cancer have one that I know of. Lets face it, mental illness can be terminal just like those nasty illnesses. When are we getting our pink lights on Aussie icons and pretty flowers sold to raise awareness and funds? I know we keep talking about it but mental illness can be just as devastating on families and communities as any of the terminal illnesses. When will our country stop being scared of it and face it head on? I know it is better now than a few years ago. When I was diagnosed there was very little support outside of the therapists office. We have to keep pushing it out there and shine the spotlight on our skills rather than our deficits. I have met some amazing, really unwell people. We truly have a gift. No one quite sees the world like we do.

What do you think?

No comments: