Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fragile, resilient life

I watched a beautiful, golden spider the size of my fingernail this morning crawl along my clothesline. The great thing about the natural world is its' ability to fundamentally behave in its' place. There is no such thing as ego, greed, analysis or the need to conquer unnecessarily. There is no mental illness, the need to manipulate or cause fear. That spider has more integrity, more willingness to live and to create life than I do. It kills to eat, no more no less. It will create an amazing out of this world web that I, as a moronic human being have no hope of creating and it will have no negative impact on its environment as I will have on mine. Physically I have more chance of surviving than this brave spider, yet it will defend itself to the death and spend its existence looking for a mate and carrying on its superb genetic material with very few flaws. I wish that I had half of its resilience and the fundamental, evolutionary understanding of why I exist and where I fit in in the ecosystem. The natural world has been the only entity that has ever taught me humility. It is the only thing that does not cause anxiety, make me angry or leave me hollow. Humanity does. What do you think? A shout out to my favorite naturalist, mentor and mover and shaker, Sir David Attenborough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a fine writer! We are natural part of the Universe too and an important part of Earth's ecological system. New York is as natural a structure as a spider web or a beehive. Yes, we are harder on Nature than Bees and Beavers but Nature will get her, "moneys worth." We can do three things no other species on Earth can do. Number 1. We have the potential of preventing the same kind of asteroid strike that took down most of the Dinosaurs. As Arther C, Clarke put it, "the Dinosaurs went extinct because they did not have a space program." Number 2. We can spread life to other worlds and habitats, maybe even make them. (Google High Frontier + Colonies in space. We might also be able to terrascape Mars and go to other soler systems. # 3. it is highly likely Science will build Heaven/John's Cube (see Rev 21 & 22), go round Relativistic curved space/time & upload everybody including the Galilee Carpenter and give Him His well deserved Kingdom, and by so doing fulfill Science's goal to preserve all life. Every Doctor is working towards eternal life. Every Scientist and most everybody is building Heaven. When time circles round again it is Life itself, the Omega Point that will assure the Universe stays life bearing. The Strong Anthropic Principle & the Gaia hypothesis are both the same thing. We evolve into the Omega point. (1 Corinthians 12:27, Ephesians 4:14 & Ephesians 4:10). Because of curved space/time He already exists. That "important thing" you sense you are missing might very well be due not to a malfunctioning brain but a properly functioning operating system instinctively telling you there is a void inside it that needs to be filled. Invite Christ into you as you did your beautiful, black dog. He will come. He always comes when He is made welcome by those who are truly striving to be the best they can be. And that describes you very accurately! He won't solve all your problems but He will love you from the inside out, from the deepest marrow of your being outwards in a way no other being can love!

I too suffer from thyroid problems and several other serious health problems including mild autism. I know what it is like to have to stay on the sidelines while healthy people go racing by achieving great things. It is very hard! But Christ is a comfort you also can know.

mica said...

Hi Elizabeth, many apologies for not responding earlier. It is very rude of me! You make a very interesting argument about the place of humanity on this planet and I feel that you are much more wise about your role within than I am. I am not necessarily misanthropic as I have a family but I have come close to abandoning my humanity many times. I am so tired sometimes and often believe that the planet would be much better off without us. Its destiny is so much bigger than ours. I feel that we are merely blips on the evolutionary scale. In saying this, there are humans that I really admire and feel that they are true visionaries. I am conflicted often. I have studied science at university and have a avid interest in quantum theory and I am also a true believer in Christ. It is uncanny that you mention Him at this time as my belief has never been stronger. I have also studied Buddhism, Islam and Taoism and have found greatness in all theologies, some more than others. I have questioned the existence of God and the power of the Universe but I was young and being of mind that embraces logic and fact, I have struggled. I am better at finding my way now and believe that I can pay hommage to all things, including God although I do still struggle with my humanity. I am trying to work through my bitterness and mistrust and come to a better place. Thank you for your amazing insight - I feel I may be unworthy to offer you a reply that matches your wisdom! This was the idea of creating this blog, to invite wonderful, intelligent response so that I may learn as well. I hope this response finds you well and your health is not giving you too much trouble. Merry Christmas!